Fairfield Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) Lawyers
We Represent Employees in FMLA Cases in Fairfield
At Carey & Associates, P.C., our Fairfield Family and Medical Leave Act attorneys are knowledgeable and experienced advocates for the rights of employees. If you or a loved one is preparing to take family leave or medical leave, we are here to help. Contact us today to set up a confidential initial consultation with a top-tier Connecticut FMLA lawyer.
An Overview of the Family and Medical Leave Act
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law that provides job-protected (unpaid) leave to certain workers who need to deal with a qualifying family issue or medical emergency. Here is an overview of the key things that workers in Fairfield should know about the FMLA:
- Eligibility and Coverage: The FMLA applies to public and private employers with 50 or more employees. Employees are eligible if they have worked for their employer for at least 12 months and have completed a minimum of 1,250 hours of work over the past year.
- Covered Reasons for Leave: Eligible employees can take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave within a 12-month period. FMLA leave may be available for a number of reasons, including the birth of a child, the adoption of a child, to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition, or to deal with your own serious health condition.
- Job Protection: The FMLA guarantees that employees can return to their original job or an equivalent position after their leave runs out. It is job security. Employers cannot take any adverse action against an employee who exercises their right to take FMLA leave.
An Overview of Connecticut State Family and Medical Leave Laws
Connecticut has state level family and medical leave laws in place as well. In fact, Connecticut law is more generous for employees than is federal law. Connecticut Family and Medical Leave Act (CTFMLA) expands upon the federal FMLA—it covers most employers in the state with one or more workers. In other words, it applies to far more people. The CTFMLA otherwise offers many of the same protections as the FMLA.
Note: Some workers in Fairfield may also be covered by the Connecticut Paid Family and Medical Leave Act (PFMLA). Paid family and medical leave may be available in some circumstances.
How Our Fairfield Family and Medical Leave Attorney Can Help
Family and medical leave cases can be complex. During important times in your life, you need to be able to exercise the maximum available leave benefits you have under the law. Our founder Mark Carey is an employee rights advocate with more than 25 years of employment law experience. We help workers find the best solution for their specific situation. When you contact us, you will have an opportunity to consult with a Fairfield FMLA lawyer who can:
- Take the time to listen to your case and answer employment law questions;
- Investigate the matter—getting all the paperwork in the proper order; and
- Develop a strategy to ensure that you achieve the very best outcome
Contact Our Fairfield, CT FMLA Lawyer Today
At Carey & Associates, P.C., our Fairfield family and medical leave attorneys have the professional and legal expertise you can trust. If you have any questions about your leave rights under the FMLA or Connecticut state law, we are here as a resource. Call us now at (203) 255-4150 or connect with us online for a confidential case review. Our firm represents workers and executives in FMLA cases in Fairfield, Fairfield County, and throughout the surrounding region in Connecticut.
By Chris Avcollie Age Discrimination in Employment: A Most Invisible Prejudice... In some ways, Western culture teaches us to honor and to respect our elders. The fifth Commandment in the Judeo-Christian tradition is: œHonor your father and your mother... Exodus 20:1-21. But in many contexts, Americans are predisposed to hold negative views of older persons. ...
- Employment Counseling
- Pregnancy Discrimination
- Disability Discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Severance Negotiations
- Sexual Harassment & Gender Discrimination
- Connecticut Executive Compensation Lawyers
- Racial Discrimination
- Wage and Overtime Claims
- Sexual Orientation and Transgender (LGBTQ)
- Whistleblower Protection
- Family Medical Leave Act
- Pension and Disability Benefits Litigation
- Employment Defamation
- Religious Discrimination
- Noncompetition and Nonsolicitation Agreements
- Wrongful Termination
- Retaliation Discrimination
Mark and his team at Carey & Associates are incredibly knowledgeable about Employment Law and have walked me through every step of the way. Their approach and guidance has been extremely effective in dealing with my case. They instill a sense of confidence by laying out the facts, caselaw, and risk assessment to help make well informed decisions. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for an Employment Attorney.
Contact us for more